National News
Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.) -- The firefighter who caught a child who was thrown to safety from the balcony of a burning apartment building said his "heart's filled" after reuniting with the girl and her family following the blaze.

The harrowing incident, which was caught on high-definition helmet-camera video, captures the moment a 5-year-old girl, Destiny Nelson, was thrown to safety from the third-floor balcony of a Georgia apartment building by her parents earlier this month.

"America heard what we were dealing with right there," Captain Scott Stroup of the Dekalb County Fire Rescue Department, who can be seen in the video catching the child as she falls, told ABC News of the incident. "When you hear children screaming, that right there amps up the adrenaline."

Stroup, who has been a firefighter for 26 years, added that while this incident was caught on camera and widely shared, "all too often in this job, firefighters do remarkable things every day."

Stroup, however, said that it was meeting with the girl's family again that made this incident so special to him.

"Very seldom do we get to make that personal connection, and this right here, if I retire today I would have had a fulfilled career," Stroup said. "To see the family, and how appreciative they are, and see the children playing with their siblings, my heart's filled."

Djuana Nelson told ABC News that having her daughter meet with Stroup has brought some "healing" for Destiny, who is still struggling to understand and recover from the events.

"It started some healing for my family," Nelson told ABC News. "Most of all, it brought some clarity to my daughter, because all she keeps talking about is, 'Daddy threw me, and fire, and Daddy being hurt,' so she doesn't quite understand."

Nelson added that she hopes meeting with Stroup helped her daughter understand, "That her daddy wasn't trying to hurt her; he was trying to save her life."

Stroup's reunion with Destiny aired on Good Morning America Monday, and shows Stroup giving the child a hug, telling her, "It is so good to see you and see that you’re okay.”

"I want to tell you something, okay? Do you know how brave your daddy is?" Scott added. "He’s very very brave. He loves you very much. Your daddy saved your life."

Nelson's family members are raising funds through a Go Fund Me campaign to help support the family -- and specifically help them find a new place to live -- as they rebuild their lives after the fire.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A major storm is expected to move toward the Central Plains and Upper Midwest Monday, bringing heavy snow and icy conditions to parts of those regions.

Blizzard warnings have been posted from eastern Colorado to southern Minnesota, while storm warnings and weather advisories were in effect from eastern Colorado to northern Michigan, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Weather advisories were also issued for parts of northern New England. The area could see a bit of snow and ice from the storm system by Monday evening, the NWS said.

The storm is forecast to move north and east Monday, bringing a swath of heavy snow to the upper Midwest and dumping snow near Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and the southern Minneapolis suburbs. Wind gusts could range between 30 and 50 mph in some spots during the day, resulting in near-blizzard conditions and dangerously low visibility.

"Widespread snow and rain will continue to spread across the central and northern states as a winter storm lifts northeast through the Midwest Monday and through the Northeast by Wednesday," the National Weather Service said in a statement today. "The snow will be heavy at times over portions of the Central Plains and Upper Mississippi Valley throughout the day before tapering off over the Central Plains tonight.

"Snow will develop over the Upper Great Lakes and northern New England Monday afternoon and will expand south and east to the lower lakes and Northeast continuing into Tuesday and Wednesday," it added.

Heavy snow is also expected in parts of Iowa, southern Minnesota, and northern Wisconsin into Monday evening's rush hour, meteorologists said.

The storm has already blanketed areas near Denver with several inches of snow Sunday, causing treacherous travel and road conditions.

Many roadways in eastern Colorado, including large parts of Interstate 70, were closed because of icy road conditions, meteorologists said.

About 200 flights have been canceled at Denver International Airport, representing about 15 percent of its daily operations, because of heavy snow.

The Denver airport received about 6 inches of snow, while some of the hillsides saw totals closer to about 10 inches.

The storm moved eastward and into Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota Sunday evening, hitting cities like St. Francis, Kansas, with as much as 7.5 inches of snow. While Imperial, Nebraska, got about 6.5 inches and Edgemont, South Dakota, saw as much as 11 inches.

Right now, the heaviest of the snow is over much of Nebraska and extends toward extreme southern Minnesota. Snowfall rates in the region will approach 1 inch per hour Monday morning, with possible sustained winds of around 30 mph.

Some snow and wintry mix are also expected for extreme northern New England Monday and through Monday evening. Accumulations will be minimal but could affect area roadways.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(SAN MIGUEL COUNTY, Colo.) -- A backcountry skier died in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado Sunday, marking the state's first known avalanche fatality of the season, authorities said.

The skier was “caught, killed” while in an area known locally as Sam’s Trees in San Miguel County, Colorado, about 300 miles southwest of Aspen, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC).

It did not release the victim’s identity or provide details on what caused the incident.

The site, which sits at an elevation of about 11,200 feet, received as much as 20 inches of snow in a 24-hour period, according to San Miguel County Search and Rescue.

The department sent its condolences to the victim’s family in a Facebook post late Sunday, also warning people to be careful.

"Colorado experienced their first avalanche fatality of the 2018 season, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center," the Facebook post said. “Our deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of the victim."

It said the danger rating in the area was at level three, on a scale of one to five, and told skiers to “remain vigilant while traveling in the backcountry.”

The state had issued a warning for the San Juan Mountains area on its website Sunday, saying human-triggered avalanches were likely to occur on steep slopes with 6 or more inches of new or drifted snow.

“An avalanche in the surface snow could step down to lower weak layers, triggering a larger and more dangerous avalanche,” the warning said. “You can trigger an avalanche today that is large enough to injure or kill you. “

Colorado Avalanche Information Center said it sent staff to review the scene and planned to release a detailed report later this week.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LAKE WALES, Fla.) -- An improvised explosive device detonated in the corridor of a mall in Lake Wales, Florida, Sunday evening, authorities said.

A drop ceiling was damaged as well as structural damage to the corridor wall of the Eagle Ridge Mall.

No injuries were reported and the mall was quickly evacuated and a perimeter set up, the police said.

Emergency personnel from surrounding counties, including the Hillsborough Sheriff's Office Bomb Squad and the Lake Wales Fire Department, responded to the mall at around 5:30 p.m. to what Schulze said was initially a response to a "smoke alarm" alerting inside a remote, unpopulated service corridor JCPenney department store in the mall.

As they approached the mall's blast site, Lake Wales Police Department Deputy Chief Troy Schulze told ABC News Radio, the situation upgraded to a "structural fire."

And when authorities arrived on scene, Schulze said: "They determined that an IED, or a pipe bomb explosive, had detonated in the corridor."

Then the bomb squad made another disturbing find.

Schulze said as they canvassed the area where the smoke receded and flames were being put out, authorities found a "backpack or book bag that contained five or six other IEDs that were not detonated," adding the devices were "safely removed."

"We had guys go in and do a cursory search to make sure there wasn't anything else suspicious or out of place," he said.

Investigators are now turning their attention to track down a man they believe to be a "person-of-interest."

Schulze said multiple witnesses told police about a middle-aged man with a "heavy/stocky build, wearing a grey shirt and grey hat."

The pursuit of this person-of-interest remains active as Schulze said investigators attempt to get a hold of video footage.

"If anybody knows or hears anything we hope they would contact us," he said.

The explosion, however lethal, struck an area where Schulze said "there are no shoppers," and was restricted to the service corridor, which helped spare bloodshed.

"It could have been a lot more dangerous," he said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- The families of two Army soldiers killed early Saturday morning when their Apache helicopter crashed in California will not receive the $100,000 death benefit they are entitled to because of the ongoing federal government shutdown.

When the same situation happened during the last government shutdown in 2013, families received the benefit only after Congress passed a law enabling retroactive payments.

The $100,000 death benefit is provided to families for the death of a service member under any circumstance either stateside or overseas.

Families typically use the benefit to cover the travel and funeral costs associated with the loss of their loved one. The shutdown does not affect families from receiving life insurance payments provided to service members.

On Sunday, Senator Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., made an impassioned speech on the Senate floor urging her colleagues to make sure that military families get what they deserve.

"If acting now to ensure military pay and death benefits continue during this shutdown brings relief to just one military family, that will be worth it,” said Duckworth. “If it prevents just one survivor from experiencing even more pain and hardship as they struggle with the grief of losing a loved one killed in action while defending our great nation, then it will be worth it.”

“The time to act is now,” said Duckworth. “This should not be a partisan issue. Every member of Congress supports paying our military personnel and ensuring military death benefits are not delayed. So why delay now? There's no good reason.”

The two soldiers died when their AH64 Apache helicopter crashed early Saturday morning at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, according to Lt. Colonel Jason Brown, an Army spokesman.

"The cause is currently under investigation and next of kin notifications ongoing, therefore we can provide no further details at this time.”

Brown confirmed that the $100,000 death benefit is not being provided to the families of any service members who die during the federal government shutdown.

“Death benefits to families of military members killed in the line of duty will not be paid until appropriations are enacted,” said Brown.

Following a political firestorm over the inability to make the payments during the 2013 shutdown, Congress passed legislation to allow the retroactive payment of the death benefit to the at least 29 families affected.

Back in 2013, nine days into the shutdown, the Pentagon announced a partnership with the Fisher House Foundation where the charity would pay the $100,000 to families. It was days later that Congress passed a law that would allow the Pentagon to pay families the amount during the shutdown. Once that law took effect, Fisher House announced it would give families an additional $25,000.

The two soldiers killed in Saturday's crash were from the 4th Infantry Division based at Fort Carson, Colorado.

"It is with great sadness that we announce the death of two 4th Infantry Division Soldiers at the National Training Center today. Our heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to their families and friends during this difficult and painful time," said Major General Randy A. George, commanding general of the 4th Infantry Division and Fort Carson.

"The loss of any Soldier truly saddens everyone here at the Mountain Post and it is a tremendous loss to the team."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- An onslaught of wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and other natural disasters across the nation in 2017 caused $306.2 billion in damage, breaking a record for the price of destruction, according to a report released Sunday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information tallied 16 natural disasters that each caused more than $1 billion in damage. Together, the disasters shattered the previous single-year record of $214.8 billion in destruction that occurred in 2005 when hurricanes Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma wreaked havoc on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts.

"In 2017, the U.S. experienced a rare combination of high disaster frequency, disaster cost and diversity of weather and climate extreme events, as billion-dollar disasters occurred in 6 of the 7 disaster event categories we analyze," the NOAA report says.

Hurricane Harvey, which made landfall in Rockport, Texas, in mid-August, brought days of torrential rains that caused flooding in Houston and surrounding areas, displaced more than 30,000 people and destroyed 200,000 homes and businesses. The storm caused about $125 billion in damage, second only to the $160 billion Hurricane Katrina caused.

In mid-September, Hurricane Maria, a category 4 storm, swept through the southern Caribbean causing $90 billion in damage to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Island of St. Croix. The storm came just days after Hurricane Irma slammed the Florida Keys and caused $50 billion in damages.

"In addition to the historic hurricanes, the U.S. had an extraordinarily damaging wildfire season burning more than 9.8 million acres," according to the NOAA report. "The cumulative costs approach $18 billion, which triples the previous U.S. annual wildfire season cost record of $6 billion that occurred in 1991."

The height of the wildfire season happened in October when a series of historic firestorms ripped through Northern California's Wine Country and beyond, destroying more than 15,000 homes, businesses and other structures and killing 44 people.

The report also analyzed the cost of a parade of tornadoes that plowed through the Midwest and Southeast in February and March, and a prolonged drought in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana. Other natural disasters adding to the historic price tag were hail storms that pounded Minnesota and Colorado, severe flooding in Missouri and Arkansas in April and May, and a deep freeze that ruined agriculture crops in the Southeast in mid-March.

"The increase in population and material wealth over the last several decades are an important factor for the increased damage potential," the report says. "These trends are further complicated by the fact that many population centers and infrastructure exist in vulnerable areas like coasts and river floodplains, while building codes are often insufficient in reducing damage from extreme events."

The study also concluded that climate change is playing "an increasing role in the increasing frequency of some types of extreme weather that lead to billion-dollar disasters."

"Most notably the rise in vulnerability to drought, lengthening wildfire seasons and the potential for extremely heavy rainfall and inland flooding events are most acutely related to the influence of climate change," the report says.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A winter storm is beginning to intensify and snow is expected to expand into parts of the central and northern Plains on Sunday morning.

Another round of blizzard warnings were issued by the National Weather Service Sunday morning. The blizzard warnings now stretch from eastern Colorado to southern Minnesota, including a large portion of Nebraska.

This storm will track towards the upper Midwest over the next 48 hours, bringing a significant snowfall from eastern Colorado to Northern Wisconsin. This storm has already brought heavy snow to parts of the Rocky Mountains. Salt Lake City, for example, picked up over 8 inches of snow on Saturday causing treacherous travel on I-80 and I-15. Treacherous travel due to heavy blowing snow was also reported on I-80 in Wyoming.

On Sunday morning the snow is falling in the Colorado Rockies and will be expanding into the metropolitan Denver area shortly. Conditions in Denver will deteriorate Sunday morning and further into the day. Locally 4 to 8 inches of snow is likely for the Denver area, with nearly a foot possible in the mountains and foothills. Flight delays and cancellations will be likely Sunday at Denver International Airport. Snow has also already expanded northward towards Cheyenne and the South Dakota-Nebraska border.

Conditions will deteriorate in Nebraska and Southern South Dakota Sunday, followed by southern Minnesota by Sunday evening. In addition to the snowfall, winds will be gusting locally over 30 mph as the storm intensifies Sunday night into Monday. Near blizzard conditions will be likely in this region during this time frame.

On Monday morning, heavy snow will be falling from Nebraska to Western Wisconsin. School cancellations, flight delays, and road closures will be likely in Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Minneapolis.

By Tuesday morning, the storm will move into the Great Lakes region and bring a heavy rain threat for the Northeast. The combination of heavy rain, mild temperatures, and existing ice jams could cause localized flooding.

There remains some degree of uncertainty where the gradient of heaviest snow totals will be in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. The current forecast includes a narrow axis of locally over 12 inches of snow from near Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to the Southern suburbs of Minneapolis. There is a potential for this axis to expand eastward. Important to note that there will be a fairly sharp gradient from notable nuisance snowfall. The heaviest snow likely misses Rapid City just to the south, as well as misses Des Moines just to the north.

In addition to the heavy snow, many locations will also see a little bit of freezing rain and drizzle ahead of the heavier snow.

In addition the snowfall, a cold front swinging across the southern Plains and Mississippi Valley will bring the chance for severe weather. A slight risk for severe storms for parts of northeast Texas, southeast Oklahoma, southwest Arkansas and northwest Louisiana. This threat region includes Dallas and Little Rock. The main threat will be damaging winds, however brief tornadoes will be possible. The thunderstorms are expected to develop later Sunday evening near Waco to Dallas, and then move north and east during the overnight.

Sunday will be another day with above average temperatures for much of the eastern U.S. Temperatures in much of this region are forecast to be 10 to 20 degrees above average.

New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. will all be 5 to 10 degrees above their average for the date. Across parts of the South, temperatures are 10 to 15 degrees above average.

Like last weekend, with the milder temperatures, the threat for localized ice jams, and thin ice remain a concern across parts of the Northeast. As a storm approaches from the west, heavy rain will arrive in the Northeast on Tuesday, which could enhance the threat for localized flooding near area waterways affected by ice jams.

After the rain passes, it will turn more seasonable. The good news is, that the extended outlook shows another mild swing in temperatures next weekend.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) -- A former assistant police chief for a Kentucky police department allegedly instructed a police recruit to shoot black minors if he were to catch them smoking marijuana, according to court documents.

In an Aug. 31 letter to Prospect, Kentucky Mayor John Evans, Jefferson County Attorney Mike O'Connell wrote that he has "serious concerns" about the then-assistant police chief Todd Shaw, who at the time was acting chief for the city of Prospect, a suburban city in the Louisville metropolitan area.

When senior Jefferson County prosecutors met with members of the Louisville Metro Police Department, they reviewed "highly disturbing racist and threatening Facebook private messages" Shaw exchanged with a former LMPD police recruit, the letter states. The prosecutors were there to conduct an investigation to determine whether to file criminal against Shaw, O'Connell said.

The prosecutors found the messages while investigating a case in which Shaw allegedly tried to assist another officer by improperly accessing the National Crime Information Center database, his attorney in the criminal case, Nick Mudd, told ABC News. Prosecutors have dropped efforts file criminal charges against Shaw in that case, Mudd said, adding that he "did nothing wrong."

The Facebook messages of concern, which accompanied the letter O'Connell sent to Evans, occurred from September to October 2016, O'Connell said.

In the Facebook messages, Shaw and the recruit discussed a scenario for the recruit's training in which he had to write a paper on the "right thing to do" if he were to come across three juveniles who were smoking marijuana, O'Connell wrote. The recruit appears to have come to Shaw for advice, telling him, "I'm so confused about this paper," in the message, dated Oct. 5, 2016.

"F--- the right thing," Shaw allegedly wrote. "If black shoot them."

Shaw allegedly made other "racially threatening statements," which included instructions on "how to handle the juveniles' parents," according to the letter.

"...if mom is hot then f--- her," Shaw allegedly wrote. "...if dad is hot then handcuff him and make him s--- my d---."

Shaw allegedly continued, "Unless daddy is black...Then shoot him..."

In another alleged message, dated Sept. 24, 2016, the recruit told Shaw that he didn't think he will be the class leader in his recruit class because a former corrections officer was in the class. Shaw then allegedly told that recruit that he was required to sign a form saying he "wasn't racist or associated with racists or associated with racist or hate groups per some KY law."

"What has POLICING come to when all you can shoot are white people and injured deer," Shaw allegedly wrote. "Lol."

"As Jefferson County Attorney, I feel compelled to notify and warn you of Shaw's deeply offensive and racist statements," O'Connell wrote to the mayor. "There is no place in police departments for men or women who hold such strongly held prejudices, including recommending shooting people simply because of their race."

O'Connell stressed how "disturbing" it was that a senior law enforcement officer with more than 20 years of experience was expressing racist views to a "young recruit."

The letter to the mayor included attachments of the relevant Facebook messages and copied in other relevant officials, including the Prospect Police Chief and the Louisville Metro Police Chief.

In another alleged message on April 8, 2017, Shaw allegedly referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "nothing but a [racist] womanizer."

"But because someone shot him, I get a day off with pay each year so I will take it," the message allegedly stated.

Shaw also allegedly wrote on March 6, 2017 that he needed "target practice" when referring to the "revitalized Russell neighborhood," named after African-American educator and Kentucky native Harvey Clarence Russell.

On Thursday, Shaw filed a motion for a restraining order or temporary injunction in a Jefferson County circuit court, seeking to have the Facebook records deemed exempt from inspection, according to court documents. The motion was denied.

Since Shaw was the assistant police chief and acting chief for Prospect as the time of his resignation, "that responsibility lends itself to a higher level of public scrutiny," Judge Judith McDonald-Burkman states in the court document.

"While the Court understands how embarrassing the documents may be to Shaw personally, they are not of the private nature intended to be shielded from public disclosure," McDonald-Burkman wrote. "The documents reveal opinions and prejudices that bring into question Shaw's integrity as a law enforcement officer who has been entrusted to serve and protect all members of society."

Shaw has not been charged with any crime as a result of the records, the motion states.

Michael Burns, an attorney who represents Shaw in the civil case, told the Louisville Courier Journal that Shaw, throughout his police career, "treated all people fairly and respectfully regardless of their race."

"His Facebook messages were made privately between colleagues and friends who shared the reality of being police officers in today’s culture where police are demonized and demoralized for doing what is required to keep the community safe," Burns told the paper. "Actions speak louder than words and Mr. Shaw’s actions during his career speak for themselves. He is not a racist in any sense of the word."

Shaw resigned after the records were shared with the Prospect Police Department, which launched its own investigation, according to court documents. He started working with the department on June 4, 2012, and was not issued any reprimands or other disciplinary actions during his employment there, according to a statement from the City of Prospect.

After receiving the letter from Jefferson County prosecutors, Shaw was "immediately" placed on paid suspension and later resigned on Nov. 20.

“While it is important to note that all the communications either sent or received by Shaw were sent privately, the City finds the content of the messages to be abhorrent, disgusting, and, reprehensible,” said Prospect Mayor John Evans, adding that officials do not believe that any city-owned computers, cell phones or devices were used to transmit the messages.

The recruit who Shaw had been conversing with was hired on Oct. 17, 2016 and resigned on Feb. 27, 2017, prior to graduating from the LMPD's basic academy, according to the Louisville Metro Police Department.

"I am disgusted by the shocking and appalling statements released today – between the former Prospect Assistant Chief of Police Todd Shaw, and a former LMPD recruit," LMPD Chief Steve Conrad said in a statement.

Neither Mike Burns, Shaw's attorney in the civil case in which the messages were revealed, nor the River City Fraternal Order of Police immediately responded to ABC News' request for comment.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Presley Ann/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Natalie Portman revealed on Saturday that she was the object of a rape fantasy at the age of 13 and gave up on numerous roles while suffering through what she called an "environment of sexual terrorism."

The Oscar-winning actress spoke from a stage before thousands of people in downtown Los Angeles as part of the Women's March, according to a CNN report.

Portman turned 12-years-old when on the set of "The Professional," where her drug-dealing father and the rest of her family are killed by crooked cops and she mounts a revenge and forges a bond with a mob hitman named Léon played by Jean Reno.

After the film was released in 1994, Portman said, she was excited she was to receive her first fan mail, only "to read a rape fantasy that a man had written me," according to CNN.

She said that critics "talked about my budding breasts in reviews."

"I understood very quickly, even as a 13-year-old, that if I were to express myself sexually I would feel unsafe and that men would feel entitled to discuss and objectify my body to my great discomfort."

She said that the shame compounded when a local radio station established a "countdown" until Portman turned 18 -- "euphemistically the date that I would be legal to sleep with," she said.

She said she turned down acting roles "that involved a kissing scene" and turned to ones that "emphasized how bookish I was and how serious I was," adding it had an impact on the way she dressed.

Portman said she expressed herself as "prudish, conservative, nerdy and serious" to be heard and feel safe.

"At 13 years old, the message from our culture was clear to me: I felt the need to cover my body and to inhibit my expression and my work in order to send my own message to the world that I'm someone worthy of safety and respect," Portman said. "The response to my expression, from small comments about my body to more threatening deliberate statements, served to control my behavior through an environment of sexual terrorism."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Spencer Platt/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- As Women's March participants filled the streets in dozens of cities, many carrying anti-Trump signs, the president took to Twitter to comment on the protests.

With apparent sarcasm, Trump tweeted, "Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all women to march. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic success and wealth creation that has taken place over the last 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!"

From New York City to Los Angeles and in many cities in between, thousands of women and their allies took to the streets Saturday, vowing to show up at the polls this year for midterm elections amid outrage over President Donald Trump's agenda.

The main event for the 2018 Women's March, entitled "Power to the Polls," will take place Sunday in Las Vegas, where organizers will launch a national voter registration and mobilization initiative. Hundreds of other anniversary marches and events will be held elsewhere in the nation -- and around the world -- on both Saturday and Sunday.

Joyce Pleva and her two daughters, Elizabeth and Jamie, were among those marching in New York City. The family participated in the Women's March last year in Washington, D.C., where a sea of women wearing pink "pussy hats" gathered to protest a day after Trump was inaugurated as the 45th president of the United States.

"Last year, there was a feeling of fear and objection to the election," Elizabeth Pleva told ABC News, while waiting for the march to commence on Manhattan's Upper West Side. "This year, there are so many more reasons we are here: [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals], the [Affordable Care Act], the environment and [President Trump's] inability to govern."

Throughout his first year in office, Trump has tried to unravel the ACA, which was his predecessor's signature health care reform law.

Obamacare, as it's also known, was critical to the Pleva family while Elizabeth and Jamie's other sister battled breast cancer. She recently died from the illness.

"We are especially concerned about the ACA. I have the gene that leads to breast cancer," Jamie Pleva said. "What would I do without the pre-existing condition [coverage]?"

Jamie Williams, originally from Alabama, brought her 7-year-old son, James, to march with her in Manhattan.

"I want him to be exposed to this," Williams told ABC News. "I also bring him with me every time I vote, so the vote counts for both of us."

Williams said she participated in the Women's March in Birmingham, Alabama, last year.

"I think it's really important to march last year and this year," she said. "We're not backing down after Trump was elected."

The anniversary marches in New York City and Washington, D.C., are expected to be among the largest on Saturday. The march in New York City started at 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time from Central Park West and 72nd Street, following a pre-march rally at Central Park West and 61st/62nd Streets at 11:30 a.m. The march in D.C. started at the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool at 11 a.m. Eastern Time.

There are also marches and events planned in dozens of cities abroad, including Buenos Aires, Argentina; Kampala, Uganda; London; Bangkok; Beijing; and Sydney.

Organizers chose Nevada to host the main event this year because it "was rocked by the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, recent sexual assault allegations against elected officials and has become a battleground state that will shape the Senate in 2018," according to the Women's March website.

"Women's March has created a powerful movement that has ignited thousands of activists and new leaders," Tamika Mallory, co-president of Women’s March, said in a statement ahead of Sunday. "In 2018, we must turn our work into action ahead of the midterms. This new initiative will address voter registration and voter suppression head on. We marched for justice in D.C., we created our plan in Detroit, and now we’re bringing the power of the polls to Nevada."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images(MORRISTOWN, N.J.) -- New Jersey's first lady Tammy Murphy told a crowd of thousands at a Women's March event in Morristown that she had been sexually assaulted while in college.

"Today I will add my voice to this growing chorus. Three decades ago, as a college sophomore, I was sexually assaulted," Murphy who has been married to the new Governor Phil Murphy for more than two decades and raised four children according to

Murphy said that when she was a sophomore in at University of Virginia three decades ago, when on a walk home one night between two sets of friends, she took a shorter path on the campus and was "pulled into the bushes," the site reported.

"I was thrown on my back, I had a man on top of me" she said of the moment of terror. "[He] pulled my shirt up, pulled my skirt up and I started screaming."

Murphy didn't just yell, either.

"I started screaming bloody murder," she said.

Her attacker, she said, tried to muzzle her screams with a crab apple.

She said when the assailant tried to stuff the fruit into her mouth, "I bit him as hard as I could," eliciting cheers from the crowd.

Her attacker relented and Murphy said she "got up and ran into a fraternity house," where members called the police.

Murphy said that the man who attacked her "never faced justice in my case."

It wasn't until "a future crime" that he "finally went to jail," Murphy told the crowd.

The first lady said for years this story remained private.

"Until today, only a few have heard my story," she said. "Now you all know. I tell this today not for me, but really for all of you. Surely, among us is a woman who has been silent about her own story."

Murphy's husband Phil Murphy was sworn in as New Jersey's governor earlier this month.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(FORT WORTH, Texas) -- The man who purchased the home where David and Louise Turpin once lived with their several children in Rio Vista, Texas said the previous family ended up moving into a trailer behind the home years after "trashing" it.

Billy Baldwin and his mother bought the home in Rio Vista -- about 40 miles south of Fort Worth -- in April 2011 after a neighbor who worked with his father informed them that it was for sale, he told ABC News on Friday.

When Baldwin called a realtor to look into buying the property, which included 36 acres of land, it was in such bad shape that he was informed he'd have to sign a waiver before entering the structure that said he wouldn't sue them if he was injured inside, he said.

The Turpins moved to Rio Vista after their home in Fort Worth was foreclosed on, records show. The home in Rio Vista sits on land that has mineral rights, so the family was receiving "nice royalties" off of the gas well on the property while they lived there for more than 10 years, Baldwin said.

After Baldwin bought the home, one of the neighbors told him that the family "up and disappeared" after one of their daughters was seen walking up the street. She allegedly talked to neighbors, asking for a ride and inquiring on how to obtain a driver's license, Baldwin said.

"You don't just walk away from a place after you've been paying on it 10 or 12 years," Baldwin said, acknowledging the strange behavior.

While the Turpins were living in the home, one of the Baldwin family's cows got onto their property, and the Turpins "didn't even answer the door" when Baldwin's mother went to inform them, he said.

Baldwin had never met the family and had "no idea" what had happened in the home after he bought it, he said. he didn't notice anything strange inside, besides the filth, but he later found a Polaroid photo of one of the bedrooms, which shows a rope tied to the end of a bed rail, he said.

One photo that Baldwin took after he bought the property shows a drawing on one of the bedroom walls.

Even though Baldwin, who owns several rental properties, said he is "used to working on houses," he described the condition of the home as "bad." The mortgage company had even spent two months cleaning it up to get it "halfway presentable" before they put it on the market, he said.

"It was just nasty," Baldwin said. There was "all kinds of stuff" all over the walls and carpet, the bathroom floor was "totally rotted out," the roof was leaking, and there were holes in the walls and ceilings, he said.

It took about three months and up to $35,000 to restore the home, which Baldwin uses as a rental property, he said.

The 2,300 square foot home with four bedrooms and two bathrooms was so trashed that the family bought a "brand new double-wide" and placed it several hundred yards behind the house in the backyard, Baldwin said. Although the trailer was gone by the time he purchased the property, an above-ground water line that led from the house to the trailer and an electrical meter were still visible, he said.

Hill County Sheriff Rodney Watson described Rio Vista as a tight-knit community where people "take care of each other" and know each other well.

"I never would have dreamed, you know, that somebody out in a lil’ country like this where everybody’s friendly would have something like that going on," he said.

The Turpins appear to have left Texas for California after moving from their Rio Vista home, moving to Murrieta and then Perris, where they were living when their 17-year-old daughter escaped last weekend and called 911.

Incident reports from Hill County detail an incident in which stray livestock escaped the Turpins' property in 2003 and another in which the Turpins' black-and-white border collie bit their then 4-year-old daughter in the face in 2001.

Emergency dispatchers were not called to the home until the day after the 4-year-old was bitten, according to the incident report. She was taken to the hospital to receive stitches on her face, and the dog was taken to a veterinarian to be put down, according to the report.

In the 2003 incident, a pig escaped the Turpins' property and ate a 55-pound bag of a neighbor's dog food, Watson said. David Turpin retrieved the pig and replaced the dog food, Watson said.

If the responding officers in both incidents had any indication that something was wrong with the children, they would have alerted child protective services, Watson said, adding that he knows several people in Hill County who homeschool their children and "do an excellent job at it."

The Turpin children -- who are ages 2 to 29 -- were subjected to repeated beatings, including strangulation, and were only allowed to shower once a year, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said a press conference on Thursday. The abuse allegedly intensified when they moved from Texas to California, with the siblings telling authorities that their parents started tying them up many years ago, first with ropes and eventually with chains and padlocks, Hestrin said.

All of the siblings, except for the 2-year-old, are severely malnourished, Hestrin said. They are all being treated at local hospitals.

David and Louise Turpin were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment. During their arraignment on Thursday, they both pleaded not guilty and are being held on $12 million bonds each.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- The Southwest is getting walloped with winter conditions this weekend.

A disturbance is moving through the region Saturday morning, bringing snow to parts of Nevada and Utah, including Salt Lake City. This disturbance will move further east Saturday, expanding snow into the Colorado and Wyoming Rockies. Significant impacts are expected through much of Saturday on I-15, I-70 and I-80 in Utah.

This disturbance will develop into a more significant and organized storm with impacts arriving in the Colorado and Wyoming later on Saturday and lasting into Sunday. The storm will then bring significant snow to parts of the Plains and upper Midwest on Sunday and Monday. Winter storm watches, warnings and advisories have been posted for parts of the Rockies, central Plains and upper Midwest.

Impacts from the storm will arrive in Denver and the high Plains early Sunday morning. Denver will see locally 4 to 8 inches of snow. Some locations outside of the city could see locally 1 foot of snow. Winds will be a concern as well, with gusts up to 40 mph likely. This storm arrives in Denver after the region saw temperatures in the 60s and 70s on Friday.

On Sunday afternoon and evening, the storm will track toward the Central Plains and upper Midwest, including Sioux City and Sioux Falls. Heavy snow will hamper any Sunday afternoon and evening travel in the region. The heavy snow will last through the early hours of Monday in this region. On the warmer side of the storm, in the southern Plains, strong thunderstorms are expected to develop on Sunday evening and early Monday. Isolated severe storms will be likely with locally damaging winds and large hail. The risk for these strong storms include parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and Mississippi.

As the low-pressure system tracks toward Minnesota and Wisconsin late Sunday and Monday, bands of heavier snow will dump locally 6 to 12 inches across parts of eastern Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, another disturbance is heading for the Pacific Northwest on Saturday night. Heavy rain, strong winds and mountain snow will all be likely. Winds will peak during Sunday morning across parts of Washington and Oregon with gusts locally to 45 mph. Landslides will be possible.

Above-average temperatures are forecasted for much of the eastern U.S. Temperatures in much of this region are forecasted to be 10 to 20 degrees above average.

With temperatures forecasted to be near 50 on Saturday in New York, it will be nearly 25 degrees warmer on Saturday in New York than it was this past Sunday. Chicago is expected to be near the low 50s. Washington will be in the mid-50s. This is pretty comfortable weather for the middle of winter.

Like last weekend, with the milder temperatures, the threat for localized ice jams and thin ice remain a concern across parts of the Northeast.

For those who enjoy this milder winter weather, there is good news: The chances for above-average temperatures will remain likely through the next several weeks for much of the eastern U.S.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

f11photo/iStock/Thinkstock(LAS VEGAS) -- The analysis of a computer belonging to Las Vegas mass shooter Stephen Paddock revealed a "disturbing search history" and numerous images of child pornography, investigators said today.

In the months, weeks and days leading up to the Oct. 1, 2017, shooting, Paddock searched online for open-air concert venues, Las Vegas SWAT tactics, weapons, explosives and the expected attendance for the Route 91 Harvest Festival on the Las Vegas Strip, according to a preliminary investigative report released by police today.

Paddock ultimately opened fire at the country music festival and killed 58 people.

Several hundred images of child pornography were also found on the hard drive of Paddock's laptop, according to the report.

"This report is not going to answer every question or answer the biggest question, which is why he did what he did," Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said at a news conference today before the report's release.

Paddock opened fire on the music festival crowd from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. A total of 851 people suffered injuries directly related to the shooting and its aftermath, and 422 of them specifically suffered from some kind of gunfire injury, Lombardo said.

Authorities found Paddock, 64, dead inside his hotel suite. The Clark County coroner's office later ruled Paddock's manner of death a suicide, saying the cause was an intraoral gunshot wound to the head.

Investigators believe Paddock decided to take his own life when he realized authorities were within close proximity to him, Lombardo said.

Although a motive remains unknown, the report says investigators have determined that Paddock acted alone and was self-funded through his gambling and past real estate transactions. There was no evidence of radicalization or ideology, the report says.

"There was only one person responsible and that was Stephen Paddock," Lombardo said at today’s news conference.

No suicide note or manifesto was found stating Paddock's intentions, according to the report. The only handwritten document found in either of Paddock's connecting hotel rooms was a small note indicating measurements and distances related to the use of rifles.

Investigators don't anticipate charges to be brought against Paddock's girlfriend, Marilou Danley, Lombardo said.

She lived in a retirement community with Paddock at his home in Mesquite, Nevada, but was visiting family in the Philippines at the time of the shooting.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Creatas/iStock/Thinkstock(RIVERSIDE, Calif.) -- The California siblings allegedly held captive and tortured by their parents have a bond "with each other that's very natural for people who are cut off from the outside world," one doctor treating them told ABC News.

That bond helps them recover both physically and emotionally, continued Dr. Fari Kamalpour, who works at the Corona Regional Medical Center, where the adult victims are being treated.

A limited staff is now working with those victims trying to develop their own bond with the siblings, Corona Regional Medical Center CEO Mark Uffer added.

"We've limited the type of physicians that go in to see them," Uffer told ABC News. "We've used people that we knew that they could develop a bond with and trust."

Uffer said patients notice if their doctors appear "hopeless," "so we picked the most positive, upbeat, caring, consistent individuals to care for them and I'm sure that they can feel that."

David and Louise Turpin, accused of abusing their children for years, were arrested after the victims were found Sunday at their home in Perris. The Turpins allegedly forced the children to shower only once a year, shackled them and beat them routinely, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said. When found, they hadn't been to a doctor in over four years and had never been to a dentist, he added. The Turpins have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

A lawyer for David Turpin told ABC News, "What we would like the public to know is that our clients are presumed to be innocent and that’s a very important presumption." He added, "We’re going to provide a vigorous defense."

The siblings -- ages 2 to 29 -- have since been hospitalized for treatment.

All the victims except for the toddler are severely malnourished, Hestrin said, adding that the eldest victim -- a 29-year-old woman -- weighs only 82 pounds. He said another child, a 12-year-old, is the weight of an average 7-year-old.

Uffer described the victims' conditions as "not so different than a prisoner of war."

Now, the hospital staff is acting as these siblings' "first stage of their introduction to the outside world," Kamalpour told ABC News. "So what they pick up from us as a group of providers in this hospital is going to be the stepping stone for the future, adjustment to life. So we are providing that environment ... in terms of the teaching, training, educating, nourishing emotionally and physically."

Louise and David Turpin were arrested in the torture and child endangerment case in Perris, Calif.

Asked if she ever breaks down after leaving her patients, Kamalpour said, "Absolutely. How can you not? You reflect when you leave."

"The staff that's worked with them have made comments to me," Uffer said. "One of our nurses, she says, 'I'm 24 years old.' And so these adults are right in her age group. And she said, 'I feel so very fortunate with the experiences I've had in life as I see this unfolding before me.'

"So it's affected the staff. I don't think there's any time that any of us have left them where we haven't been somewhat tearful," he said. "It becomes very personal to you. And you it hurts to see what another human being can do to another human being. So it does stay with you. I don't think there's any of us that are involved or have spoken to them or interacted with them that slept much in the last week because you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about them.

"We feel we've done the best for them while they're here and we hope that that will pay off for them moving forward as they go back out into life someday," Uffer said.

The Riverside University Health System Foundation has opened the Perris Sibling Support Fund "to ensure that the healthcare and educational needs of the children and young adults are cared for both now and in the future," said Nicole Orr, senior director of development at the Riverside University Health System Foundation.

"The response was immediate and it has been tremendous," Orr said. "We are receiving hundreds of calls and emails. It is encouraging that events like this bring out the desire in people to help in whatever ways they can."

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, have each been charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. David Turpin was also charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 by force, fear or duress. They have pleaded not guilty.

Hestrin said, "We’re asking the public to reach out if they have any information about the case."

Anyone with information can call the tip line at the Riverside District Attorney's Office at 888-934-KIDS.

Watch the full story on ABC News "20/20" FRIDAY NIGHT at 10 p.m. ET

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


KJC Kennel Club





"Always in our Heart! "